Experience API (xAPI): The next- generation learning technology.
Various studies have demonstrated that learning new talents is a great way to improve one’s life and helps us more easily and readily adapt to new situations. Learning deepens our character and makes us more inspiring to think creatively for those around us.
Thinking all of them, online learning has been demonstrated to be one of the most effective methods for increasing flexibility and self-directed learning, as well as improving time management, virtual communication, collaboration, and reinforcing technical thinking abilities.
If someone wants to learn a new skill online, they have two options. First option is to enrol in an online class that consists of a series of online sessions followed by an assessment. The second option is you might start by viewing a few introductory videos on YouTube, downloading, and reading an eBook, and working on projects while concurrently accessing a well-known web forum for expert advice. Most of us here nowadays learn using the second approach, however most eLearning tools are incapable of tracking and much less analysing. Unless they are integrated with xAPI, it’s difficult to manage.
What is xAPI?
xAPI, or “Experience” API, specification is a new learning technology protocol that extend SCORM’s (Shareable Content Object Reference Model) primary objective, allows you to collect data about a person’s diverse set of experiences (online and offline). xAPI gathers information about a person’s or group’s actions in a uniform way from a range of sources.
It was launched in 2013 to address SCORM’s multiple tracking and mobile device compatibility issues. Previous specifications were complicated and limited, but the xAPI is simple and extensible. It eliminates many of the previous limitations. The xAPI can now recognise and express mobile learning, simulations, virtual worlds, serious games, real-world activities, experiential learning, social learning, offline learning, and collaborative learning, to name a few.
Why switch from SCORM to xAPI?
In recent years, xAPI has gained popularity among businesses since it addresses the shortcomings of SCORM. Here are a few reasons why you should use xAPI instead of SCORM.
- xAPI can be used in almost any context to track learner interactions whenever and wherever they happen, whereas SCORM can only track learning that takes place on your Learning Management System (LMS).
- xAPI can collect lot more data about your students’ interactions and performance, but SCORM can only track fundamental outcomes like course completions, time spent in courses, and quiz scores.
- xAPI provides a truly personalized experience based on data collected during the learning journey.
- xAPI can be used to record nearly any type of learning activity, including face-to-face training, team activities, webinars, podcasts, mentoring and coaching sessions, as well as short courses and micro credentials.Any type of learning can take place anyplace.
Key Benefits of Experience API
xAPI is for obtaining content OUT of a variety of devices and software applications, like YouTube and smart watch GPS sensors, to offer feedback possibilities in the LMS. Fortunately, most current LMS are now robust and analytics-ready, allowing xAPI’s full potential to be realised. How would xAPI assist you as an organisation that supports employee learning and development?
- Highly efficient: xAPI simply works better for most consumers. As per the studies, majority of users prefer xAPI, because it is very less vulnerable to faults. It has received very few inquiries in long run. Whereas customers are having increasing difficulty with SCORM while utilizing obsolete browsers and authoring tools.
- Enhanced tracking: One of the most appealing features of xAPI is its broad range of learning opportunities. xAPI is better suited to today’s environment, where “learning happens everywhere,” than SCORM, which is limited to PC courses. The outdated SCORM protocol is especially difficult on browsers like Safari and devices like the iPad Mini.
- Richer data: xAPI technological detail enables it to comprehend and express more and richer data in a more robust manner than SCORM. xAPI is a newer standard that integrates the technology that learners are likely to use. An estimated 56% of learners use mobile devices to access course materials, and this data would not be collected with SCORM.
The records generated by xAPI are activity statements. These activity statements are then collected from the various sources chosen and stored in a Learning Record Store (LRS). The LRS is like the SCORM database in a LMS – a location in which users can find all the data that they need, ready to be interpreted.
- Progressive: xAPI is a continuous development process that is being adopted by the industry. Choosing the xAPI will benefit implementers. A tin can is a better option. If you want to future-proof your eLearning content as it evolves and changes. It frees you to make better use of new social and mobile technologies by removing the limits of traditional e-learning standards.
How Impelsys’ xAPI expertise can help your business to adopt and enhance learning experience.
Impelsys has proven solution and an expert team for developing eLearning content solutions as per your requirements. We offer feature rich SCORM and xAPI framework development and implementations for your digital content and specialized in LRS (Learning Record Store) implementation and development of LRS reporting dashboards. Our eLearning development is highly customized, interactive, and simple to use. Will meet the learning needs of your students and audience.
Connect with us:
Looking for an Expert Team that can help you bring your vision to life? That’s exactly what our team of ideators, business consultants, architects and engineers have done for our clients over the years. Leveraging over 20 years of rich technology experience, Impelsys is diligently creating technology solutions with our tried-and-tested digital transformation approach and application engineering expertise to drive business growth across industry verticals. To learn more, visit Impelsys or write to us at email@example.com to get started.
Authored by –