In a rapidly developing world, it is becoming increasingly important for organizations to keep up with the latest advancements in technology. One of the most buzzed-about technologies today is artificial intelligence (AI). We have been discussing AI and wondering what implications it may have on learning and development (L&D).
Artificial intelligence has the potential to revolutionize nearly every industry, including L&D. But what exactly is AI? And how can it be used in L&D? This blog post will attempt to answer these questions and more.
What is AI or Artificial Intelligence?
Wikipedia defines it thus: “Artificial intelligence (AI) is intelligence—perceiving, synthesizing, and inferring information—demonstrated by machines.” Any task which involves the computer to predict, study patterns, voice recognition, translate between natural languages, and automated decision-making, can be termed AI.
If you are an instructional or learning designer, it is important to stay up-to-date on the latest trends and understand the growing role of AI in L&D. This will help you to create more engaging and effective learning experiences for your learners. We can take the help of AI to:
- Create more immersive and interactive content.
- Develop content that is tailored to the individual learner’s needs.
- Use analytics to drive the development of more effective content.
- Create content that is aligned with learning objectives to make it more focused.
- Apply design thinking to develop more creative and innovative content.
- Generate realistic images and backgrounds – you are no longer dependent on searching for the perfect image; you can create one. You do not need to be an expert to do this!
- Create AI-based mentors to drive your courses along with AI-generated human voiceovers. No more paying hundreds of dollars to get this done!
- Create assessments aligned with learning objectives to reduce the time invested by subject matter experts, and provide feedback instantly to the learner.
- Create innovative activities for face-to-face training.
AI can be a great tool to create more efficient and consistent learning experiences. However, there are some potential drawbacks to using AI in L&D.
- It might lead to higher costs of creating or purchasing an AI-based system.
- Content created by an AI-based system may be generic rather than tailored to the industry.
- Results would not have the human touch and sensitivity to guide the content and its design.
- AI-generated content might not be error-free and might require manual review.
- AI cannot create high-level assessments based on Bloom’s Taxonomy, nor is it able to rate the answers written in response to these assessments.
- Perfect images created by AI might not look natural or suit the overall formatting and standards.
- Reports may be biased depending on the students’ overall performances.
- AI does not encourage the learner to think critically and independently. Rather, the students start depending on the AI-based system to help with their studies.
At the end of the day, you must consider whether using AI in your content development is a worthwhile investment or not.
Weigh the pros and cons for yourself and make sure that any AI-generated content you use meets the highest standards of quality before you integrate it into your learning experiences.
Using AI in L&D does not have to be intimidating; with careful consideration, you can leverage this technology.
Stay ahead of the curve by incorporating these trends into your L&D activities.
Authored by – Chaitali Pal Chowdhury
5 Factors to Consider when Choosing The eLearning Technology Partner for Your Organization
Strategic outsourcing of specialized learning solutions and services such as cognitive learning and courseware development technologies are common across various business verticals. When...
How to Increase Efficiency in Publishing Workflows Using AI Services Powered by Impelsys SSAM.ai
The modern publishing industry is gradually adopting automation tools powered by Artificial Intelligence (AI) and NLP-based algorithms to cost-effectively solve the challenges they...
Importance of Bridging Human Expertise with Artificial Intelligence to Drive Accurate Metadata Tagging for Publishers
Technology innovations like digitization have led to monumental shifts in the functioning and growth of traditional industries. The publishing industry has realized this...